|@October 22, 2023||ESV (2016)||ESV Prophets Plan 2023|
- Hosea’s Wife and Children
The Lord told Hosea to take a wife of whoredom (Gomer) to have children of whoredom who would represent the future judgment of Judah and Israel. God would have no more mercy on the house of Israel but would have mercy on Judah. Judah’s salvation will be “by the LORD their God” rather than by bow or by sword.
It was Judah’s salvation by the LORD through non-military means that seemed particularly worthy of note today. God’s power to save is far beyond any earthly might. While God can and does leverage earthly means (such as the Assyrian takeover of Israel), there are other times where His methods are entirely supernatural (such as the fall of Jericho). God is limited by nothing and manifests His power however He chooses. In whatever form it takes, God exacts His favor, blessing and judgment to bring about the ultimate end: that His glory would be magnified.
Commentaries & Resources Used
- ESV Study Bible. (Wheaton, IL: Crossway, 2008)
- Faithlife Study Bible (Lexham Press, 2016)
- Believer’s Bible Commentary (Thomas Nelson, 2016)
- CSB Study Bible Notes (Holman Bible Publishers, 2017)
- Matthew Henry’s Commentary on the Whole Bible (Guardian Press, 1976)
- The Bible: A Reader’s Guide (Sterling Publishing, 2011)
- The Infographic Bible (Zondervan, 2018)
- ESV Digital Scripture Journal (Crossway, 2019)