|@November 5, 2023||ESV (2016)||ESV Prophets Plan 2023|
- A Plea to Return to the Lord
The last chapter of Hosea contains a final call for the people to repent. God responds with a promise to heal their apostasy and provide future restoration. The book closes by emphasizing that wisdom and prudence lie in obedience to the ways of the Lord. Those who are discerning are to understand and know them but transgressors will stumble in them.
All over the Bible, you see this tight coupling of wisdom and obedience to the Lord. The core maxim of the book of Proverbs is that “The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge” (Prov. 1:7). Proper fear leads to obedience which yields wisdom and practical application. It is through admission of Him and submission to Him that real understanding is attained.
Commentaries & Resources Used
- ESV Study Bible. (Wheaton, IL: Crossway, 2008)
- Faithlife Study Bible (Lexham Press, 2016)
- Believer’s Bible Commentary (Thomas Nelson, 2016)
- CSB Study Bible Notes (Holman Bible Publishers, 2017)
- Matthew Henry’s Commentary on the Whole Bible (Guardian Press, 1976)
- The Bible: A Reader’s Guide (Sterling Publishing, 2011)
- The Infographic Bible (Zondervan, 2018)
- ESV Digital Scripture Journal (Crossway, 2019)