|@November 14, 2023||ESV (2016)||ESV Prophets Plan 2023|
- Seek the Lord and Live
- Let Justice Roll Down
The once-virgin Israel is no more to rise. She should have been kept secure but now had been raped by invading armies. Israel’s military defeat is envisioned as the loss of 90% of their soldiers. But God through Amos pleads with the people to seek the Lord and live, reminding them that God is the One who created and controls all things. It was because they trampled on the poor that they will now endure divine judgment. God rejected their empty gestures of offerings and songs but desired instead for justice and righteousness to “roll down like waters” like “an ever-flowing stream” (Amos 5:24). The people will take up the idols in which they trusted and the Lord will send them into exile “beyond Damascus” (Amos 5:24).
Seeking the Lord and His righteousness leads to life. God graciously sent His messengers, the prophets, to help the people see that if they would but turn to Him in repentance, He might respond to them in mercy. Now centuries later, as we read of their message today, we are extended the same invitation. Vibrant life awaits those who turn from worldly pursuits and put to death the passions of the flesh. Christ came that we may have life and have it abundantly. All that He asks of you is everything you are.
Scripture Journal Notes
Commentaries & Resources Used
- ESV Study Bible. (Wheaton, IL: Crossway, 2008)
- Faithlife Study Bible (Lexham Press, 2016)
- Believer’s Bible Commentary (Thomas Nelson, 2016)
- CSB Study Bible Notes (Holman Bible Publishers, 2017)
- Matthew Henry’s Commentary on the Whole Bible (Guardian Press, 1976)
- The Bible: A Reader’s Guide (Sterling Publishing, 2011)
- The Infographic Bible (Zondervan, 2018)
- ESV Digital Scripture Journal (Crossway, 2019)